I left the classroom a few years ago with the intention of bringing something back.
Here you have it: three years of work which led to the discovery that ‘something.’ These boxes contain stacks of pages filled with research notes, observations and many a-ha! moments. There are other resources scattered about—books and visual aids. Everything here (expect for Buster, the red dog, who guards the workspace 😁) is a piece of the Spatialosophy™ journey, which has been a passion project for me.
This work has involved years of long days and late nights spent reading, writing and conceptualizing; countless road miles and sky miles traveling to various research sites to make observations and conduct interviews. I embarked on a far-reaching search for answers to specific questions and above all else discovered: possibilities.
Beginning this fall, pilots of Project 6×6, a Spatialosophy™ framework and curriculum, will be implemented in classrooms and other designated learning spaces. This blend of research, science and applied practitioner experience offers a wellspring of possibilities for creating dynamic learning communities where students and educators thrive.
I am very excited to see the Spatialosophy™ journey continue, and I am equally excited about the discovers to be made in the minutes and miles ahead!
—Devan B. / Creator of Spatialosophy™
The Project 6×6 pilot will include:
- A design guide for teachers that maps out the six components of the Spatialosophy™ framework (setting, practice, alignment, culture, engagement, and social-emotional learning) and best practices for applying each to their learning environment;
- Action-oriented lesson plans from the Spatialosophy™ classroom curriculum designed to: promote inquiry-based and collaborative learning; create a learning community where the full range of different human needs, experiences, values and perspectives are recognized and validated; and, encourage students to utilize their natural (individual) abilities and enhance their understanding of how to integrate knowledge and multiple ways of knowing as they navigate a life of learning and problem-solving, both in and beyond the classroom.
- Spatialosophy™ reflection journals (teacher and student versions);
- Classroom library selections that support the cultivation of social-emotional competencies and promote inclusion; and,
- On-going coaching sessions.
Learning spaces should: cultivate social-emotional competencies; promote equity & inclusion; and, spark intellectual engagement. Spatialosophy™ is essential to achieving this.
For information on how to pilot the Project 6×6 framework and classroom curriculum in your learning space, send inquiries to: email@example.com. (Type Project 6×6 in the subject line.)